Author Topic: Need a little help starting out...  (Read 6369 times)

Offline James Rivard

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Need a little help starting out...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 05:15:54 AM »
SMART goals are exactly what everyone should be making...anything out of that spectrum is surely a "failure" waiting to happen. When we get out of those five we set ourselves up for defeat more often than not. Don't get me wrong some people are exceptional when they believe strongly enough in the goals they've set and accomplish even the most extreme of expectations. I believe that most, if not all, of us should try not to get ahead of ourselves and stick within our goals but work to overcome our limitations.
Training is the facilitation of your belief in it.

Offline jaggedyearedjack

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008, 05:03:06 PM »
Well im about 5'-9" and 180 lbs, I like long walks, pizza, and the color orange lol.  But here are some more refined goals:

- 2000 calorie diet
- Bench 180 and move my way up from there (I bench 150 at the moment)
- Run a 7 min mile
- 400m dashes in 1 min

Benching is related to dips because they both work the triceps which ive discovered is an important muscle for parkour, pull-ups i just figured would be helpful for pulling myself up walls and ledges.  I took your advice on the dashes and the calories and realized that prob would go nutz on only 1500 calories in a day.  But thank you for the help, really appreciate it.  Let me know if these new goals work better.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
Well, you'll find benching doesn't transfer well to bodyweight movements like dips so... do what you will though. Much better overall.

Use everything you do in your workouts to work towards goals. If it's not going to relate, don't bother doing it because otherwise it's more or less a waste of time.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »
careful with the calorie counting with your diet buddy. not trying to be a jerk, its hard to get a person's true tone on the net, but i read your goals. then i see that you want to eat 1500- 2000 calories. that makes me believe you are not to educated on nutrition and im worried you could be hurting your growth by counting calories. esp. if you want to up your bench press and other strength based goals. try to focus more on eating right. leafy veggies, nuts + seeds, fruits, and lean proteins. if its healthy, then eat till your full. find out what works for you, learn more, then maybe count calories and stuff. i am 5'9'' 170 and used to be 180-185. i lost that weight by eating MORE food calories-wise, but healthier food. something to think about. best of luck.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline (t)Rainer

• Mangabey
  • "Parkour is a discipline, not a game" -TK-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 03:02:07 AM »
Lol, I did the same ting but I went from 160 down to 140 :O It is nice to lose weight eating.;D
"If you enter this world knowing you are loved and you leave this world knowing the same, then everything that happens in between can be dealt with. " -Michael Jackson

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing." -Salvador Dali

...wanna run?
 Text me! or call.
765-977-7613

Offline weeman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:20 AM »
All i do at the moment is an easy as pie routine
which i do every night

40 sit ups
40 push ups
40 seconds of 'prone hold'
40 burpys
5 pull ups  :P
and 40 star jumps  ;D

at the moment im not running but i should start ::)

hope i help