Author Topic: Parkour vs. Freerunning  (Read 2541 times)

Offline MPD

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Parkour vs. Freerunning
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:36:48 AM »
What is the difference between the two?

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour vs. Freerunning
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:29:40 AM »
Whats with the multiple multiple topics about the same thing?

They are two words developed by two different ppl dbelle and foucan to describe the art of movement. In my opinion it hurts us as the American PK community to differentiate between the terms as much as we do. I'll post it again, but it seems like nobody ever watches it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5_dssEyNA

essentially all the founders are there minus the two I've mentioned and they all stress that we shouldn't differentiate between the "words" used to describe the art of movement, and rather should focus on moving, and discovering new spaces everyday.

I know a lot of people like to differentiate, but it hurts our scene as a whole imo.
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline bjkpersonal@aim.com

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour vs. Freerunning
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:49:47 PM »
          I've seen the video before, but I still don't think you have to follow it entirely.  The differences between the two are differences between running styles, not disciplines.  That's why people go ape$h1t when you bring up topics like these because most traceurs very strongly love the discipline and mindset of Parkour and defend it harshly.

It has a negative effect on the PK community to try to tear apart the mindset of Parkour since there's nothing wrong with it.  However, shunning controversial thoughts because of the fear of having your prized mindset broken down is never a good thing; Ignorance never has been.  Opposing opinions will always exist, but shunning opposing opinions will never allow for growth within the PK community, actually, all civilization.