Author Topic: Vaults/Movements you have invented?  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Zack Bedingfield

• Mangabey
  • iamgustav
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults/Movements you have invented?
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 06:14:17 AM »

sigh...it isn't really likely it's been done before, its a fact that it has and that every single thing you can think of right now has been done before too. please can we stop it with all this please please.

How's that? What makes you so sure every movement has been done before man?

Kind of a negative nancy.

in responseto: How's that?

because movement has been around forever, and in the spirit of parkour it's wrong to think otherwise. You may certainly do something that hasn't been done in a while or something none of us as thought of, but be sure of it, it has been done before. This is one of the many reasons that I love parkour as much as I do, I think it's sweet we aren't doing anything new essentially, we're just moving how we are meant to move. That's what makes me so sure, and thats why I feel the need to clarify when posts like this pop up, and I don't think I'm the only one who thinks this way. There wouldn't be such close ties to methode naturelle and parkour's origins in my opinion unless most traceurs associated the concepts rather closely.

inresponse to: Kind of a negative nancy.

way to be a hater.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 06:17:55 AM by Gustav »
“You do freerunning or parkour, I don’t know, but both are the same. Some people are worried about it, but they are people that don’t train for too long, people that…in terms of training, aren’t mature yet. […] One day I’d like to wake up, open my window, and everyones doing parkour." -Ali Shelton

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 07:42:32 AM »
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Andrew Robillard

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:30 AM »

sigh...it isn't really likely it's been done before, its a fact that it has and that every single thing you can think of right now has been done before too. please can we stop it with all this please please.

How's that? What makes you so sure every movement has been done before man?

Kind of a negative nancy.

any possible move you can think of has been done before, the reason being is because if you could think of it it means you've seen it or its a combination of things you've seen before, even if you don't realize it is. its just the way the human brain works. now there is possibility that a certain combination of movements has never been done before but your not gonna find it by sitting around and thinking about it. almost all things that are actually new and not combinations of stuff are discovered by pure accident by people smart enough to realize the applications of what the stumbled upon.
besides every basic movement has been done before, period end of story. it is the more complicated combinations of these basic movements that could possibly progress.
"With the will and the passion impossible is nothing."

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jord

Offline jordanwolfe

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »
Haha I was trying to vault and I messed up when I jumped, so I kinda did like a cartwheel vault. It got me over and all, but not the way I wanted. :-\ I haven't tried it again though and I probably won't.

Yes... it would be a nice style vault... maybe the name "sky vault"?

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »
I think i know something like that, i made up a vault i call it the

Wheel Vault. So when your going up to a rail have your hands cluched onto the bar and do a cartwheel over the top with your legs at a 90 degree angle. Gets the job done and its easy
Co-Founder

Offline Andrew Robillard

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 07:22:59 PM »
I think i know something like that, i made up a vault i call it the

Wheel Vault. So when your going up to a rail have your hands cluched onto the bar and do a cartwheel over the top with your legs at a 90 degree angle. Gets the job done and its easy

sounds like a barrel vault.
"With the will and the passion impossible is nothing."

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jord

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 07:24:53 PM »
I will try and post a Video of it next time i get one of my friends to come with me
Co-Founder

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 04:38:48 AM »
Naming movements is just a convention used so that when talking to other traceurs you can more easily share ideas. Beyond that, naming movements and striving to come up with *NEWWW MOOOVEES!!!* is a little ridiculous. I'm sure I've down a few crazy, wierd variations of movements that no one has ever seen, but that doesn't mean I name them all. Eventually you're goal is just to move  :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2008, 04:47:26 AM »
I agree with you Leon. When it allcomes down to it, this conversation is just about moving. And because it's kinda entertainig ;D
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Algie

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 09:32:45 PM »
alright gustav that makes sense, but telling people that they didn't invent the move and calling them arrogant isn't really supporting the purpose of this thread.

And the negative nancy thing: at least i didn't call you a dick or something.

lol i hope this ends here, i dont want to start any arguments.

Anywho, zaloritus, i get what you mean now, it sounds a lot like the barrel roll thing that we were doing. Which ties in a lot to what gustav is trying to say.  ;D

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2008, 09:42:38 PM »
I think it's fine to suggest to others what type of new vaults you have found out how to do... it's been done a bunch before, bit things get idiotic when people start claiming that they did it first.

Algie, with your dash-360, you put your hands on one side? I just push off more on one arm to get my 360 rotation in.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Algie

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »
ive done it both ways, but i found it easier to spin when i put both hands to one side, but still keep my legs forward like a dash vault.

Offline BlindMonkey

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2008, 04:03:38 PM »
idk if I invented it but one day I did a vault where my legs were pretty much in a split and I did a spring flip over the fence. probably been done before.