Author Topic: Anyone in Oahu?  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • only those who try succeed.
    • View Profile
Anyone in Oahu?
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:26:13 AM »
Ok, well me and a few freinds are planning on visiting Oahu next year for spring break, we'll be staying somewhere around the "Princess Kailani" hotel, btw i dont think i spelled that right, anyway, it'll be end of march, begining of april 2009, so if anyone would be interested in helping us out and just hanging out and running for a bit, once i get the itenerary ( we are going with the school orchestra) ill putt it up, so if you are interested, send me an instant messenger msn- shadowwolf0908@bresnan.net
yahoo- Terdai1
Aim-darklyevilwolf

Thanks much guys, maybe ill see you next year!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
"Effort within the mind further limits the mind, because effort implies struggle towards a goal and when you have a goal, a purpose, an end in view, you have placed a limit on the mind".
Bruce Lee

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: Anyone in Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 01:29:28 PM »
Close - It's Ka'iulani. Means "royal sacred one". No worries - even some internet sites spelled it Kailani or Kaiulani. Kailani means "heavenly sea".

We have jams the last Sunday of every month. Sounds like you'll be able to make the March 29, 2009 one. Keep us posted here, or check HawaiiPK.com as the time gets closer. The guys on Oahu are usually able to find some time to jam, especially if you buy them Acai cups at Jamba Juice :)

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:24:06 PM »
lol sweet, btw we're high school students, so if its alcoholic can't buy them those lol :p, but seeing as pk is fitness, i doubt they are :D im trying to see when we get the itinerary, so we can set something up, since we are probably leaving right before, or on Sunday., we leave the friday before spring break, and normally leave hawaii like at 11 pm on sat, or friday :( so unless thats changed we'll have to try during the week, or between friday adn monday the first weekend. oh and just a little warning we aren't all that great, on a scale from 1-10, 10 being david bell or above, we'd be a 1 or 2. so i was hoping you could teach us some things, since hawaii is way better than wyoming, BLEH, there isn't much here at all..... anyway... lol hopes to get aquainted

TAJ
"Effort within the mind further limits the mind, because effort implies struggle towards a goal and when you have a goal, a purpose, an end in view, you have placed a limit on the mind".
Bruce Lee

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
Jamba Juice sells fruit smoothies. Looks like you would have to go to Denver/ Boulder to get one. Some of the HIpk guys were eating acai cups at the end of some of the videos. It's almost become a tradition. I think Ozzi would get a Jamba tattoo if it meant he could get a free one every day.

http://www.jambajuice.com/jamba_locator#/home/

Unfortunately the acai cup isn't listed in their menu. Maybe it's a Hawaii only thing. They figure, "Hawaii eats raw fish, poi, Spam, blue crab, ika, nori chips... let's see if they like the acai cup."

There are plenty beginners here. The scene is very young, and just starting to reach critical mass on Oahu. Things are still very quiet in the Neighbor Islands, but that should change in the near future.

Work on your basics. Landings, rolls, upper and lower body conditioning. Then start learning and refining some of the vaults. That way, when you come here in 11 months, you'll be way farther ahead.

You may want to try to jam with some other Wyoming or Colorado people - COPK is a very active scene. Check http://www.coloradoparkour.com/ and the forums here at APK.

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 02:39:43 PM »
Me and my 10 freinds are like mainly the only parkourists in wyoming that i know of, so we're outta luck there, if you want to see our best runner, check out wyoming parkour on youtube, but i'm going to try adn get us to go to the national jam in august down in colorado, so maybe just maybe we'll get better :P

Taj
Bruce Lee

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:59:35 AM »
There's a lot more people doing this stuff than we realize. Some of them are people who like to hike, run, rock climb. Some of them have never heard of parkour, but they're doing elements of it. When you get someone like Ozzi, who's got great organization and promotion skills, you'll start to see the scene in Wyoming grow, too.

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:30:53 PM »
bassically, im the one trying to set stuff up, thats why im the one trying to talk to anyone we can learn from, and hang with, lol aka you guys :p, the rest of my peeps are slackers, and aren't very organized :)
Bruce Lee

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »
Terdai speak with Ozzi and his crew they are from around the Oahu area. Ozzi is the creator of HawaiiPk (urban Current) im sure if you ask him you could arrange a jam!
Co-Founder

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
The monthly jam is already pencilled in. March 29, 2009, 11 am. When it gets closer to your arrival, check HawaiiPK.com to find out where it is. We can also help you figure out which bus routes you might need to take. TheBus has a great network, and it's pretty easy to get around.

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:21:30 PM »
alright ill look into that, i don't know fore certain,  i think we'll be there by then, so hopefully we can go, it depends, like i said i'll send you the itinerary when i get it, which won't be till like december or january lol 
Bruce Lee

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »
oh and i have another query, could you guys put an underbar tutorial on the urban current youtube? i keep having issues, and i freak out if the gap is smaller that 3 or 4 feet :P thanks much :D
Bruce Lee

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 12:11:20 PM »
I'll ask Ozzi.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:02 PM »
Hey bro! I usually make up nicknames for people's online aliases, but Turd doesn't cut it, so I'll stick with Turdai.

I'm Adam McC, I'm part of Urban Current, the team that runs HawaiiPK. Me and Ozzi and Pete (you never see him on here) are always up for meeting some new people and sharing what we can of the Hawaiian Parkour scene. Hit us up on HawaiiPK.com, there's a link to our forums there. There's even a "visiting from out of state" board just for you ;).

Gregg is right, when I first moved here I thought I was the only person doing Parkour on this island. Turns out Ozzi had a few of his friends, there are plenty of high school kids running around doing their thing, like I did back in the states when I started. Just keep your eye open, keep checking google, and talk to as many people as you can. Just occasionally you'll meet the right person, maybe with a martial arts or gymnastic background and Parkour just clicks with them. Now we have more than 50 people interested in parkour through some simple advertising. And this is a small island. So don't get discouraged, I promise there's plenty of kids with groups like yours throughout your state.

So hit us up on the forum and we're lookin forward to having you. As Gregg said, we have monthly jams, and we also can train most any day we're free. Ozzi's work is Parkour, so he's usually free. Me and Pete do our best with our day jobs, but weekends usually work.

See ya round!

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 08:14:26 PM »
Wyoming's a big place, with few people. Honolulu metro area has twice as many people as the whole 280 x 360 mile state. Only Alaska has a lower population density.

I'm guessing that there are people scattered across the state who would be interested in PK. If they live outside one of the larger towns, they probably do more hiking, rock climbing, and natural stuff.

That may be an option for you. Find people to hike with one day, people to rock climb with another, condition by yourself or with friends a couple days, then jump Cheyenne or wherever when you get a chance. Because Wyoming's not a megalopolis, take advantage of the places you have that people in DC or NYC don't have.

Obvious place to look for people is U-Dub, if you can make it to Laramie. If 1% of the students could possibly be interested in PK, that's 130 potential people right there.

Offline Terdai13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 01:34:28 PM »
i know a good 20 people that are interested its the whole thing that there are many good places to run, we hit parks mostly to practice, but thats only so much, but we do, on occasion find a place we can hang out for for a bit adn screw around. but eh, when i can im moving for college, so maybe i get to go to somewhere big :P
Bruce Lee