Author Topic: Sparta Fitness  (Read 4217 times)

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
Re: Sparta Fitness
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »
well m2, whatever his situation or reasons for opening this gym, can you please inform him that pissing off a very influential customer base is bad for business. im not saying its even brad's (who ever he is) fualt. after all, the original post is not his from what i understand. however, the angry mob seems to be forming.  :-\ a simple post from him would be a good investment in his gym's future.
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2008, 08:14:37 AM »
Well, I can agree to a certain extent - but I really need to play devil's advocat ehere because I know that at least Animus has argued the other side of this -

Does posting on the internet REALLY make him better suited to open a gym???

Does it really gain your trust or make him qualified?

Let me find that post form David Belle ... :P

Also, terry, who is this angry mob? Will it really effect his business? There is plenty of negative sentiment towards me on the internet - does Primal Suck?

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »
It doesn't make him more qualified, no, but yes, it would let me know that he's interested in the community and that he isn't someone who just learned the Parkour movements on his own.

I had a talk with one of my students' parents last night.  He showed a deep interest in Parkour, and loved the way that we approached things.  Another kid started talking about one of the gymnasts here twisting his ankle by trying to do a front tuck off a ledge outside...  My response was, "He shouldn't have been doing this in the first place."  The father I was talking to then asked about rules, and I told him that there weren't any rules, but as a community, we try to keep each other safe, well conditioned, and ensure that we're capable of not only training today, but tomorrow as well.  He talked about youtube videos of bad bails, and my response was that of course accidents will happen... but more often than not, the kids who see it online and try to emulate it.. the ones who don't come to us, who don't try to find this community.. those are the ones that are going to get hurt, and so we urge everyone to find the community and help nurture it.

I bring this up because it also brings up something else...  Exactly how do we go about trusting someone who hasn't learned and grown with us?  It would be a different case for David Belle or PK Generations, because they were.. well.. the first, and they are who we emulate and learn from.  If Brad went off to London and spent three weeks training with Generations, that'd be awesome!  That'd be great!  Let's hear that in his bio, so even if it isn't part of teh community, at least we know that what he'll be teaching is also something that we've been teaching.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
Personally, if he were a renowned member of the community, it would be more reason to trust him, but I'd also have to say that if sparta were in my town, I'd give it a shot. Heck, I wish it were in my town!

Of course, Primal is more renowned in the community, so given a choice, well... I think we can all answer to that one  ;D
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Terry McIntosh

• Patas
  • Tear It Up Terry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »

...does Primal Suck?

i can say that sometimes mid workout if i were asked that my answer might be slightly profane and offend other members of your family.  :-Sarcasm  :-Sarcasm  :-Sarcasm

i just feel that this is stemming from a misunderstanding that can be cleared up by him easily. if he would just say something, anything really. This just seems like bad press that can and should be easily avoided.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 09:18:53 PM by tearitupterry »
I like to touch different kinds of surface textures.
Parkour lets me do that without feeling weird.

Offline Evilch33s3

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »
Ive been a member of Sparta Fitness for over 3 months now and ive learned more stuff than i would ever think of doing.
so before you go criticizing him as an instuctor maybe you should meet him and see for yourself that he is actually a very good instructor

Offline NickMc

• Patas
  • ydoaPs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
Brad just got a CrossFit certification(and, iirc, Sparta Fitness is now CrossFit affiliated). That's another reason to check it out. It's not really meant to be a place to go and say "teach me"(except Saturday classes :p), but you will learn a lot and Brad and Matt are always willing to help.

My first time to the gym reminded me of what they were talking about on Jump Britain in the gym. You can go to a gym with some people who have been into PK for a while and learn in one day what would take months on your own.

Ive been a member of Sparta Fitness for over 3 months now and ive learned more stuff than i would ever think of doing.
so before you go criticizing him as an instuctor maybe you should meet him and see for yourself that he is actually a very good instructor
You're not bad yourself. Maybe this Friday everyone else will actually show up.
David Belle is what Willis was talking about

Offline Nick Kelly

• Mangabey
  • Parkour Horizons
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Horizons
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 07:53:45 PM »
My first time to the gym reminded me of what they were talking about on Jump Britain in the gym. You can go to a gym with some people who have been into PK for a while and learn in one day what would take months on your own.

Something to remember, however, is that gym training is very different than training outside. Its a lot easier to do something when you have a pad to fall on as opposed to concrete and metal.